If you’ve ever been pregnant, you’ve probably relied on other people’s wisdom to get you through some of your worst days. Some of them may have actually been helpful while others may leave you with a confused look on your face—and yet, will you follow them? We checked the worst advice pregnant women got, as shared on Reddit. Here’s what we found.
- Do not put your arms over your head as it will cause the cord to get wrapped around your baby’s neck. One woman was even told that putting your head above your arm will separate the cord from the placenta.
- Dance a lot so your baby becomes athletic.
- You can drink beer to get rid of morning sickness.
- A pregnant woman’s dad advised her to buy a deep fryer and eat a lot of fried food so the baby gets enough calories. That same dad was also shocked that her daughter’s midwife advised her to avoid gaining too much weight.
- When a woman’s doctor predicted her baby to be 9 to 10 pounds by her due date, her mum advised her to start exercising so the baby won’t get fat.
- Smoke weed during pregnancy because THC or tetrahydrocannabinol, a chemical found in marijuana, is also found in breast milk.
- Just hold your newborn when you’re about to feed or change them because too much physical contact will establish parental dependence in the child.
- Let your baby cry and soothe himself because it’s the only way they’ll learn.
- If you drink coffee, the baby will die.
- Eat whatever you want because you will lose it later. The same woman gained 65 lbs with her first baby and it took her almost 18 months to lose the weight.
- Smoking while pregnant isn’t that bad and the health risks for babies do not exist.
- It’s okay to drink up to 24 ounces of alcohol every day even though you’re pregnant.
Of course, all these pieces of advice are proven to be false. So remember to always listen to what your gynaecologist advises you.