It’s hard to deny the importance of discipline. “Discipline has to do with civilising your child so they can live in society,” says psychiatrist Michael Brody, MD. Yet kids repeatedly test their parents’ limits. When it comes to disciplining children, there is no quick fix and no magic bullet. However, here are 7 discipline don’ts all parents have to stop – as it doesn’t make the situation any better.
- Yell – Your screaming has zero effect on behaviour (other than to teach your child that it’s alright for them to lose it as well).
- Offer Empty Threats – If your child knows that you won’t follow through, they won’t take you seriously.
- Compare – When you say, “Why can’t you be more like your sister?”, the implication is that your child isn’t fine the way they are.
- Fail to Set Rules – It’s not fair to punish a child for playing ball in the house if you didn’t tell them it was verboten beforehand.
- Spank – Research shows that striking a child makes them more aggressive, not better-behaved.
- Argue about Consequences – Your discipline methods are not up for discussion. Or negotiation. Period.
- Bribe – Yeah, it works the first time. But eventually your child will expect a reward every single time you request their cooperation.
The fact is, raising disciplined children is not easy. Despite your best efforts, there will always be good days and bad days.But, at the end of the day, the idea is to discipline right. What are some discipline tips you have for us? Drop us a comment down below.