This year, Arts in Your Neighbourhood is taking you on a journey to discover the town of Jurong! Gain a fresh perspective on this neighbourhood in Singapore that is often known for its industrial development through visual arts installations and trails. See, hear and experience the neighbourhood by immersing yourself in an exciting day out in Jurong!
You can also enjoy a fusion of classical and modern pieces through the multicultural music performances lined up for you and walk away with a deeper appreciation of various cultures. Experience weekends of fun and family-friendly performances like Play With Bamboo! and Maxx The Cat as well as participate in many interactive activities such as:
- #seeyoursg – A visual arts discovery trail of Jurong by place-making studio Shophouse & Co exploring how reality and perception are interwoven. The trail encourages participants to see the neighbourhood through new lenses – literally through a “viewing and recording” device.
Trail starts at the Jurong Regional Library (Programme Zone) on 25 November 2017 at 10.00am and 4.00pm. Click here to register.
- Larger Than Life: The Unspoken Histories of Jurong Neighbourhood – Commissioned by the Public Art Trust, an initiative of NAC, this showcase features five interactive, site-specific public art installations presented by artists Lim Soo Ngee, Liyu Minzie, Syndicate, Yeo Chee Kiong, as well as Vertical Submarine, who also curated this public art showcase. Through the activation of public spaces in the heart of Jurong, Larger Than Life seeks to share fond memories, characteristics and the forgotten history of the Jurong neighbourhood.
Happening at the Canopy @ J Link (Adjacent Field) from 9 November 2017 – 28 January 2018. Click here to register for workshops.
- .txt – Conceived and devised by writers Pooja Nansi, Singapore’s first Youth Poet Ambassador, and Daryl Qilin Yam, .txt comprises two text-based visual arts installations inspired by the Jurong neighbourhood. Located at Jurong East, they explore the interaction between language and its localities, bringing to attention the peculiar aspects of Jurong.
Check it out at Westgate’s L1 Fashion High Street from 9 – 26 November 2017, 10.00am – 10.00pm.
- The Story-teller – Conceptualised by one of Singapore’s pioneer street artist, Slacsatu, this batik-inspired street art installation explores the beautiful memories, childhood dreams, colour experiences and cultural roots of Jurong that have helped to shape the community.
Feast your eyes on street art at the Taman Jurong Community Club (next to Taman Jurong Market and Food Centre) from 9 November – 31 December 2017.
- Play With Bamboo! – A music performance produced by composer / arranger Liong Kit Yeng, featuring Ding Yi Music Company and an angklung kulintang ensemble led by De Silva Alicia Joyce, that showcases Asian culture through the beautiful sounds of bamboo-made instruments such as the Indonesian angklung, Chinese dizi and sheng.
Head to Our Tampines Hub’s Festive Plaza on 25 November 2017 at 2.00pm and Our Tampines Hub’s Festive Arts Theatre on 26 November 2017 at 5.00pm with fringe activities happening from 3.00pm – 6.00pm on both days. Click here to register for 26 November’s show.
- Maxx The Cat – Presented by Singapore’s leading theatre company, The Finger Players, this is a colourful theatrical performance happening beyond Jurong with puppets and lively music, exploring the theme of love, inclusivity and courage.
Head to Ang Mo Kio’s Central Stage on 18 November 2017 to catch it at 2.00pm or 5.00pm.
Arts in Your Neighbourhood is a programme under the Arts for All initiative by the National Arts Council. This programme aims to provide enriching arts experiences for everyone at their doorsteps, and consists of interactive arts programmes by established artists and arts groups held at various spaces across the island. Head over to their website for more information on other events!