Reports say more than one billion or 20 per cent of the world’s population speak the Chinese language, making it one of, if not the most spoken language in the world. Even Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg learned Mandarin, strengthening the importance of the language in the business world.
We need not say more—being able to confidently speak in Mandarin will help your child make more friends, explore the world, and thrive in his or her chosen career.
Start your child learning Mandarin at an early age, using fun yet effective methods. One of those is by watching theatre plays or musicals. In a study published on Harvard Kennedy School’s Education Next, it was found that live theatre enhanced the vocabulary (compared to reading the book or watching the film version of the story) and emotional intelligence of the student audience.
Introducing the play Fantastic Mr Fox in Mandarin!
The play, adapted from British author Roald Dahl’s children’s novel of the same name, was first staged in 2012 and was a huge success among children, parents, and teachers.
In Fantastic Mr Fox, three mean farmers—Boggis, Bunce, and Bean—try to get Mr Fox and trap him underground to starve with his family and friends. With Mr Fox’s determination and perseverance, he’s able to devise a plan to outsmart the baddies, making the story a classic tale that provides encouragement and inspiration to overcome obstacles in life.
A lot of factors have been seamlessly weaved into this staging of Fantastic Mr Fox to enable fun learning for children aged five and up. These include the following:
- With the music composed by industry veteran Dick Lee, the children will not only be humming to the Chinese songs but sing along to the fun and catchy tunes.
- Young children remember better when words are repeated. In Fantastic Mr Fox, your child will enjoy repeating action words with the actors.
- It’s not just about watching, but interacting too—children will be encouraged to participate in words and action with the cast during the play.
Roald Dahls’ Fantastic Mr Fox in Mandarin will be on stage starting 31 July 2019 at KC Arts Centre, running every Monday to Friday and during public holidays and weekends.
Performance schedule and rates:
- Monday to Friday, 10am: Single Tickets, CAT 1: S$29 / CAT 2: S$26
- Monday to Friday, 10am: Family Package (4 tickets), CAT 1: S$98
- Weekends and Public Holidays, 11am and 2pm: Single Tickets, CAT 1: S$49 / CAT 2: S$39 / CAT 3: S$36
- Weekends and Public Holidays, 11am and 2pm: Family Package, CAT 1: S$166 / CAT 2: S$132
When: From 31 July 2019
Where: KC Arts Centre – Home of SRT, 20 Merbau Road, Robertson Quay, Singapore 239035
Tel: 6348 5555
Tickets: Get your tickets here.