Many think that only through sophisticated technology, one can help to make a difference to our ecological issues the world face today. Contrary to this, every effort counts and makes a difference – we have the power as individuals to contribute to a positive change. You don’t need to spend a bomb to make your home a more eco-friendly environment. Here are some tips.
8 WAYS TO REDUCE CARBON FOOTPRINT
- Switch and turn off!
Change your incandescent bulb to LED lights as it will not only be friendlier to your wallet, it helps to cut down energy consumption by lighting by 60-90 percent. It lasts 50 times longer than the bulbs and majority of the energy is converted into light instead of heat and you’ll have a cooler home. And don’t forget to turn off the lights when not in use. For more eco-friendly lighting, visit www.ecco-sys.com.
- Install standby plugs Use energy-saving standby plugs such as IntelliPlug (www.oneclickpower.com) to prevent hidden power drains. These plugs help to switch off devices automatically with its Automatic Shutdown in A/V Mode after 1, 2, 3 or 4 hours and with this feature, you are guaranteed to save energy and money. IntelliPlug automatically calibrates to your equipment with each switching cycle to ensure optimal energy transfer.
- Use solar power You don’t need a major renovation or electrical overhaul in order to use solar power. Start small and make little changes – change power sources whenever you can, within your budget and your needs. Replace your electric powered pump with a solar pump to make your water fountain safer for your kids and more environment-friendly. Check out Kamtex Solar (www.solar.kamtexindustries.com) for more solar power options
- Embrace eco-friendly battery Get the revolutionary rechargeable battery – the USBCELL (www.thefirstgreenstore.com) – an NiMH AA cell that can be used like a normal battery and can be recharged simply by plugging into a USB port. This eco-friendly alternative as can be re-used hundreds of times as no charge adaptor or cable is needed, saving you money, hassle and wastage. No more wasting of resources, carbon dioxide and creating toxic landfill with your alkaline batteries.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle
Who says recycling bins are only for big companies and the neighbourhood? Make it a habit to recycle things at home, be it old newspaper, corrugated paper, cartons, magazines, writing papers or mixed paper waste. Call a local paper collector and trader ([email protected]) to help with your recycled ‘stash’.
Another noteworthy initiative is Double A paper’s 1Dream1Tree campaign which allows members of the public to contribute directly to sustainable production and consumption through having Double A paper trees planted in their name. Consumers can scan a unique QR code on the packaging of Double A 80 gsm products and register with their Facebook and Google+ account to have a Double A Paper-tree planted in their name. Each scanning device / smart phone can register once with each unique QR code but can scan other QR codes to have more trees planted, without registering. The target number of trees to be planted for the 1Dream1Tree campaign is 1 milllion, from participating countries Singapore, Malaysia, Korea and Thailand.
GREEN LIVING: THE ECO LIFESTYLE EVENT
Turn this weekend into a chance to teach your little ones about the green lifestyle! Green Living (www.green-living.com.sg) is an eco-lifestyle event happening at the Marina Bay Sands Convention Centre from 9 – 11 September to help you take the initial steps to a greener lifestyle. Check out these events and workshops:
1) Visit the Double A booth to scan the QR code on a Double A paper ream and donate a tree to a farmer in Thailand, as well as take a selfie with an origami paper plant made up of used Double A paper ream wrappers.
2) Paper Fun with Double A Origami workshop for children. To sign up, visit: www.green-living.com.sg/Activities/in-booth-workshop
3) SuperEating for the Whole Family workshop. Join Tiffany Wee, naturopath and nutritionist from Balanced Living, in this fun and interactive 30mins cooking demo to find out what vital nutrients matters most for your growing family’s needs, and how to use the Vitamix to whip these key ingredients into healthy and nutritious living foods that you and your whole family can enjoy!
4) Toxic-free Lotions and Potions for Women & Kids. Using botanical essences and ingredients, create natural, eco-friendly products. You have a choice of making either a natural insect repellent, a chest rub or sleep time rub to take home.
5) Toy Car Making workshop. To experience the joy of making a toy car using carpentry tools such as hand drill, saw, try square and sanding block. Through the process, participants can develop interest in making and acquire some basic skills of handling tools. Parents will also be able to spend quality time with your child in designing and making the car together!
There are loads of other activities so make sure to check the website out before you head down to the event!