Who says a healthier choice lunch choice is no fun. You can prepare a scrumptious and healthy lunchbox for both your child and yourself to bring to school or work. Plus, you can even let your child help out with this easy bear shape sushi recipe from the Kawaii Deco Sushi book ($32, all major bookstores) by Shirley Wong of www.littlemissbento.com.
Here’s what you need:
1 sheet + 1/3 sheet of seaweed
1 x 2/3 sheet of seaweed
5 x 1/3 sheet of seaweed
25g white sushi rice
275g brown sushi rice (250g white sushi rice +25g bonito falkes soft rice topping (okka soft furikake)), divided.
2 pickled gourd strips (kanpyo), each 10cm x 2cm
4 circles + 4 short strips of seaweed for noses
- Step 1: Pat dry pickled gourd strips and wrap separately with 1/3 sheet of seaweed. Roll each one up tightly for the eyes. Set aside.
- Step 2: Shape 25g white rice into a 10cm rod and wrap with 1/3 sheet of seaweed. Roll up tightly for the muzzle. Set aside.
- Step 3: Spread 40g brown rice on 2/3 sheet of seaweed, leaving a 5cm gap at one end.
- Step 4: Place a sausage on the rice and roll tightly for the ears.
- Step 5: Cut the roll lengthwise in half, then cut into 4 pieces each. Set aside.
- Step 6: Shape 75g brown rice into 10cm long mountain and place in the centre of the 11/3 sheet of seaweed.
- Step 7: Place a 1/3 sheet of seaweed on each side of the mountain.
- Step 8: Spread 40g brown rice on each side of the mountain.
- Step 9: Place a pickled gourd strip eye on each mound of brown rice and the muzzle in the centre.
- Step 10: Top both sides with 25g brown rice to hold the parts in place. Start rolling up the roll.
- Step 11: Use 30g brown rice to cover the muzzle, filling any gaps and forming the shape of the head before closing the roll.
- Step 12: Cut the roll into 4 pieces. Assemble the ears and finish a seaweed nose.
Share this recipe with other mummies too!